I am absolutely blown away by how excellent Dr. Leedy’s work is! It’s better than I could have ever imagined, his work is EXCELLENT 10/10. After having a child this is just what I needed and I look better and feel better than ever. His staff is so friendly! I would highly recommend Dr. Leedy for anyone considering getting some work done, you will be very happy you did.
People choose to undergo a thigh lift for many reasons, whether it’s to regain confidence after weight loss or reduce excess skin for aging. At Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute, we understand the impact that feeling comfortable in your own skin can have on your overall quality of life. A thigh lift is not just a cosmetic procedure, it’s a path to improved well-being. This transformative procedure can help you achieve firmer and smoother thighs, making everyday activities more enjoyable and making clothing choices more versatile.
What is a thigh lift?
A thigh lift, or thighplasty, is a popular procedure for those who have lost skin elasticity around the thigh and hip areas. Oftentimes, the effects of age or massive weight loss can leave the upper portion of your legs flabby, dimpled, and sagging. A thigh lift can help to reduce excess skin and return your legs to a smoother, more youthful state. Thighplasty can be combined with other procedures such as abdominoplasty or included in a mommy makeover to create a balance throughout your lower body.
The most frequently asked questions about thigh lifts
If you have significant excess skin that sags from loss of elasticity that cannot be remedied with exercise or nonsurgical solutions, then you may be a good candidate for a thigh lift.
There are two very common techniques: the inner (or medial) thigh lift and the outer (or lateral) thigh lift.
- The inner thigh is often difficult to reshape with diet and exercise. An inner thigh lift addresses excess sagging skin and fat on the inner slope of the thigh. To accomplish this successfully, an incision will be made in the lowest part of the crease between the groin and each thigh. For those who have lost a massive amount of weight, a vertical incision along the inner thigh may be used in addition to achieve additional correction. Skin and fat will be removed, and the skin of the inner thigh will be pulled tightly and sutured closed. Dressings are applied to promote healing.
- An outer thigh lift addresses excess skin and fat through the outer portion of the thighs and the buttocks. This procedure uses an incision along the top of the pelvic bone on each side. Depending on the amount of correction desired, each incision may extend horizontally as far as the center of your body. Excess skin and fat is then pulled up towards the incision and removed. Then the incision is sutured closed and bandages are applied to promote healing.
It is important to discuss your desires and listen closely during your consultation so that you can set realistic expectations. Call us or schedule an appointment online to learn more about what the Cleveland Plastic Surgery Institute can do for you.
You should expect some pain, swelling, and bruising following your thigh lift. Discomfort is usually moderate and can be managed with prescription medication. Plan on being out of work and away from usual activities for at least two weeks, and avoid any high impact activities for about a month. While the swelling may take several months to subside, bruising usually lasts only one to two weeks.
To make your recovery easier and more comfortable, be sure to:
- Arrange for someone to take you home and take care of you for at least the first day
- Place your prescriptions within easy reach of where you’ll be resting
- Have loose-fitting clothing ready to go
- Use ice packs to help reduce the swelling
You will be able to see a shift in your appearance almost immediately after surgery due to the removal of excess skin and fat. After several weeks or even months, you will be able to see your final results once the swelling and bruising recede. The appearance of your thighs should improve over a period of several months.
By maintaining a stable weight, exercising daily, and sticking to a healthy diet, it is possible for your thigh lift results to last up to a decade or more.
During recovery, you may be required to wear compression garments to ensure the best possible results as your body heals. Stitches normally dissolve or are removed a week to ten days after surgery. And while there will be permanent scars, they should be well hidden.